Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Funny, this grass? Greener, yes. Full of angry vitriolic advertising? Also yes.

I know, I know. Those who know me have listened to me say, for years, "Oh, I just wish my vote *counted*, I'm so outnumbered in my state I feel there's no point." Then I would expressively bring the back of my hand to my forehead, tilting my eyes to the heavens, and sigh, "Alas."

So far this week, I've learned that John McCain sleeps with special interest groups or, at the very least, hires them, Obama loves infanticide and giant growing models of the White House that loom ominously over sleeping babies (which he obviously forgot to kill). McCain/Palin stand for change. And more of the same. Obama stands for change. And more of the same old Democrat-run Washington.

And in case you weren't paying attention, neither candidate believes you know how to speak Spanish. If they did, they'd be ashamed for their Spanish-language advertisements.

If you'd asked me a year ago -- "What single quality do both candidates hold that make them admirable", I'd have said their honor. Obama wants words to mean what they mean and I believe him to be an honorable man. McCain said he wanted a clean campaign and is an outstanding senator with an over 30 year record of service to his country. I'd hoped this year's race to the White House would be as honorable as it could be.

It isn't. And living in a swing state, that's all the more apparent. I'll vote for my candidate on election day. And I'll hope he wins. But there's no doubt in my mind that both candidates will get a flurry of letters in these next few weeks that open with "Shame on you, Mr. Candidate."

As a lover of words, I'm a greater lover of ideas. I'm ashamed to say that this Presidential race, like many before it, isn't as both candidates ensured us -- about ideas -- it is about catch phrases, unfair emotional appeals, news blips, and whatever makes good 60 second coverage on the 6 o'clock news. If Americans have allowed themselves to become so shamelessly shallow, well, in addition to shaming the candidates, I'd say "Shame on you, Americans."

Go. Take some time to read. Read the plans and policies of both candidates. In fact, during your evening tv, mute the thing during commercials, open up a webpage, and visit:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/

and

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

While you're there, please skip the tv section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...