Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The one in which I discuss North Carolina rationally:

Nope.  Still can't do it. Still too hurt.  Still angry.

And above all else?  Still hurt.

Still too angry and hurt to write about changing a state's constitution to specifically deny a group of people their rights- about watching the map of American change from the early 90s (wherein there was NO legislation regarding same-sex unions) to a map covered in mostly negative legislation banning same-sex marriage or unions via law and sometimes even Constitutional amendment.  I can't even begin to share the disappointment and pain I feel knowing that several of my friends are supporters of such actions - some of whom would deny that right on behalf of a loving God.

I told my friend Ryan last Tuesday that I thought the map was changing because people are afraid of the inevitability of it all - this is the last vestige of clinging to an intolerant past.  I hope that I am right.  A recent article I heard on NPR discussed the changing face of the nation - 2/3 of people over 60 believe in gay marriage bans whereas 2/3 of people under 40 do not.  Eventually the younger generation will come through and clean up the legislative mess of the older generations, I guess.  But it won't be without work.

Next week my state is set to begin a special session to discuss some 30 pieces of legislation that were tabled because ONE man wanted to prevent a vote (that is rumored will pass) on civil unions - SO important was it to him to prevent this legislation from being voted on that he acted in the direct opposition of his constituency and their needs to kill it with stupid procedural tricks.  Governor Hickenlooper, when announcing his intention to call for a special session, described a call from his friend - a friend that said "If not now, when?"

If not now, when indeed.  A few days after Hickenlooper's press conference, our President made history by being the first sitting President to support gay marriage.  If not now? When?

When?  Now. It's time to take back the map.

1 comment:

  1. The story Lance heard on NPR called this change "Generation Replacement." I'm reminded, yet again, of my lack of patience. I want things changed, for the better, NOW. I don't want to have to wait until I'm the "old" generation. . .(I will no doubt be blogging about this lack of patience sometime soon).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...