Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

A few things that I can't believe:

I'm working on 101 in 1001 right now - a list of 101 things I want to do in 1001 days. I'm excited. I think it'll be cool. Until then, I want to give you a list of things I can't believe:

  1. My son went down for a nap at 1. So did I. I woke up to the phone at 1:30 (thaaaaaanks Tim!). I've been busily working at household stuff since then but I haven't graded a single essay. I'm both stunned at my bad time-management AND my son's lengthy nap.
  2. I've been watching the On Demand commercials for 10 minutes now. Because I cannot bring myself to lean down and pick the remote off the floor after Tough Love ended. That's right, I have a Master's degree kids!!!
  3. I don't believe Gisele Bundchen had a pain-free birth. Either that, or, if I believe she DID have a pain-free birth, I cannot believe her child had a skull anywhere near the size of my kids' heads.
  4. While I'm on the subject of childbirth, I read an article on Discovery today about a girl without a vagina who had a baby. That's right. I've gotten myself around the "Crack whores get pregnant every day" thing and even come, through my four losses, to appreciate the surge of bile in my throat everytime I see Teen Mom on MTV, but a fifteen year old girl had oral sex with a dude, got stabbed by her ex, and the sperm found an egg, the egg implanted in her uterus, and she HAD A BABY. Here I am busting my (well, you know) and some girl gets pregnant from a stabbing? Suffice to say if it took a stabbing for pregnancy #7 to actually result in a baby that is born, I might line up for it. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/02/01/ncbi-rofl-thats-one-miraculous-conception/
  5. DC gets 29" of snow and they shut down the Federal government. We get 29" of snow and the city considers potentially maybe plowing our street in a few weeks.
  6. The Time-Traveller's Wife is actually about the wife of a *time traveller*. I thought it was some pretty metaphor. According to On Demand advertisements, though, it is not.
  7. Sarah Palin mocked Obama's love for teleprompters at the little Tea Party this weekend. All the while she had crib.notes.on.her.hand.! AND she got lost in her notes while giving her speech. That girl is a BLAST.
  8. I love many -- nay, MOST of Sarah Palin's dress shoes and would kill for one pair of her boots. This is painful to me, so much do I loathe her.
  9. But seriously? The Time Traveller's Wife is REALLY about the wife of a time traveller? I man. Okay. Fine. I get it. The Time Machine is about a Time Machine but HG Wells didn't muck it up with Oprah fame or a romancey modern movie, yanno?
  10. Last but not least: One of my students wants to write about how Batman is more badass than Superman. And I think I might have a little English teacher crush on his idea because A) He's showing us all that ARGUMENT essays don't have to be big, heavy, and serious. . . AND B) He's like so totally right. As I told the class today: Batman has no superpower and still totally rocks it because his super power is his BRAIN. What smartie doesn't love a superhero who's a superhero because he's wicked smart?

3 comments:

  1. The Time Traveller's Wife was not a very good movie, but the book rocks. It's a really neat scifi/romance novel. He travels through time against his will (think Quantum Leap, but he's naked and stays himself) and they meet each other at different points in their lives. It's a great story.
    Good luck with your 101 in 1001!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawyer and I just had a discussion about both Batman and IronMan being super cool because their powers were their brains!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Yes. My student might run into issues between Batman and Ironman. I mean, then you have to start comparing back stories, because you're right. Hrrrm. Although Batman's pretty wickedly awesome as Bruce Wayne and Ironman has that charming Tony Stark. Gosh, it's kind of a tough line to draw, isn't it? Then I'd suppose you'd have to finally revert to which comic maker was cooler. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...