Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too (NOT!)

It's Wednesday and it's BEAUTIFUL and my mother is getting on a plane soon to fly here to Denver. That's fantastic. It's about time we had sweet shiny days filled with joy and expectation!

Oh, and cleaning.

I came to realize, oh, about an hour or so ago, that our house is TRASHED. I cannot have my mom here like this, so it's time. Additionally, I've decided to surprise her with a little late birthday party (we're only 2 weeks or so behind the times. That's NOTHING).

So to put off cleaning (so that I can do it frantically with only 40 minutes to spare while simultaneously watching Big Bang Theory AND cooking dinner, DUH), I decided to make a gigantic Bake and Fill cake with my son. What boy doesn't love sliding on a too-big apron, rolling up his sleeves, and digging in to two cake mixes, 6 eggs, and *fantastically* messy stuff?

But here's the racket: The Bake and Fill takes One-and-a-HALF cake mixes to make the cake we needed, so Betty Crocker shamelessly said "Oh, just make a dozen cupcakes with the leftovers." Which is great, right, because who doesn't love 12 Cherry Chip cupcakes hanging out on their counter top. Unfrosted.

The absence of frosting is important, of course, because when you walk by said cupcakes and one JUMPS into your mouth, on its way it will scream Don't worry, I'm not covered in *frosting* or anything, as if cupcakes somehow shed their calories when unadorned.

So about an hour ago, there I was, on my hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom floor by the toilet with a cherry chip cupcake hanging out of my mouth thinking This is rock bottom for sugar addicts.

What a way to kiss my wheat-free low-sugar week goodbye. I can tell you though, without a doubt, my mother is worth it.

(Spellcheck tells me "unfrosted" is not a word. And while I agree, dear spellcheck, that it shouldn't be, unfortunately it is.)

1 comment:

  1. mmmm...cupcakes. I found a sleeve of unopened girl scout cookies while vacuuming my car and figured it must be the universe's way of telling me to ignore my diet for the day. Or at least reward myself for cleaning the car.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...