Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

And now for a subject very near and dear to my heart:

If you've read my blog, you know: I lost my stepfather to cancer and it affected me deeply.

You should also know this: Four months before his death, David walked his first Survivor lap in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. We missed it that year, saying we'd be there for the next Relay. We were. David wasn't.

But other people were. Thanks to the work of the American Cancer Society - the research, scholarships, family counseling, and other projects funded by grants made possible through Relay for Life donations, other people were there to walk the Survivor lap for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time.

This year's theme is "A Year with More Birthdays." As I wrote just a few months ago, I remember David singing "When I'm 64" when I was a child - and thinking how impossibly far away those days were. Sadly, those days would never be for him. I would like, however, to see those days come for those I love - and millions of others who will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.

If you can, in any way, please consider supporting me in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life of Douglas County this year.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10PL?px=6387128&pg=personal&fr_id=23924&fl=en _US&et=Ra92rqb3O_EOaKVep1RPIA..&s_tafId=451134

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...