Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Mad props to Mr. Thoreau

When I became Elsa’s mom, I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life with my husband and children, and see if I could not learn what they had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life...

Yeah, yeah, I know I changed it. Deal with it, traditionalists.

I want to write a family mission statement, because I feel like we've been sometimes losing our way with each other, with ourselves, and not to good ends.  I want to raise my children deliberately. To tend my marriage deliberately.  To create real and lasting poetry on the page and in my arms with thoughtfulness and care. All too often these days, I bounce through life parenting by reaction, loving in response, and wasting time on things that, ultimately, do NOT do me or my family justice.

I want to downsize, to treat our remaining things with care, to treat each other with care, to work the soil together, to work cultivating college minds but also to focus on cultivating my little ones' minds.  I want to play more - to ACTUALLY play. 

I do not wish to live what is not life and I've done far, far, far too much of that lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...