Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

6 months and 1 day: A Letter To My Daughter:

Sweet Elsa:

Your 6 month mark nearly passed without notice as your brother got his tonsils out the day before.  He's a big ball of hurt and energy and he occasionally pokes at you in passing.  Please know that this violence is a form of love - unrestrained interest wrapped up in boyhood.  Also understand that the really big but not as big as Mom and Dad person who tries so hard to care for you exactly like we do - she's your sister.  And yes, she let you fall backward and bonk your head, but she loves you with a depth I don't quite understand.  And it, too, is awesome.

The cat has just taken notice of you - likely because he's an old man and only wants to be loved. He walks past you on the floor and dips his head down to rub yours and it's so cute I want to snuggle you both, but I realize you're all spit and he's all claws and that's a very dangerous combination.

Today I want to thank you.  Not for sleeping through the night or what have you - but for making me realize, through our journey to get you and through these last past six months - what luck - what a random lightning strike parenting is - and how I ought to be damned grateful for it.  My other two children came easily to me and my biggest failing as a parent, probably, was taking that for granted.

Of course this doesn't mean you'll be showered with gifts or spoiled rotten - but you might well be gifted with a mother who seeks daily to make herself worthy of this crazy random happenstance.  I want to be a good mom to you - and your siblings - now that I realize what a randomly assigned miracle you all are and how many people in this world would give anything to have just a small piece of what I have.

So thank you.  I'll never say that the long journey to you was a fun experience - but I WILL say that it was good for me in that it made being a mom matter to me in ways I never really anticipated.

So here's to the first six months.  Let's push on into the next half of the first year and please, as you grow, remind me of all of the growing that I need to do.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Miss E is six months old already. She is a blessed little girl to have such a loving family around her (even if the boy does show it in typically boy ways).

    -amb (Google hates me right now and won't post my name)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...