Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Just make 'em. . .

I have a friend who knows exactly how I feel when those words pop up, even though the end of the sentence for me (sleep) and for her (eat) is different.  Before I was a parent to my kids, I was under the impression that infancy was about telling them them how and when to do things and that soon they would control these things on their own.

My children disabused me of that notion. They have taught me that there are a few things parents simply cannot make their children do.  We can encourage, cajole, bribe, and reward, but we cannot control (barring medical intervention, I guess) their physical selves.

You cannot make a child sleep, eat, defecate, or urinate.

The sooner you, as a parent, let go of the idea that you can control this independent little person in those ways - the happier you'll be.  Again, I say, you can encourage, cajole, bribe, and reward, but you cannot control.

This is a secret most parenting books don't share.  The books - from sleep books to cookbooks to potty training books - act as though it is your parental duty to control these things in your child.  Your failure to do so sets them up for any wide variety of disorders and proclivities.

Are you listening to me?  The parenting manuals want you to know that YOU WILL FUCK YOUR KIDS UP if you do not make them bend to your will in terms of eating, sleeping, urinating, and defecating.

I have been a parent for 8 1/2 years now and over the course of the past 9 years I've read more books related to potty training, feeding children, and sleep training than I care to share.  I could probably dedicate an entire post to specific book reviews, outlining for you the very moment I cast the books across the room and cursed at their authors for making me feel like I had the ability - the right - and the duty - to control these things. A few are exempt - and even the ones that aren't have taught me a thing or two, so I don't protest reading.

I simply oppose the guilt that reading these books seems to create in my parenting friends. Instead, I offer this: Our kids are incredible, amazing creatures who often grow up to be incredible amazing adults despite our best parenting efforts.  I do not exempt you from your parenting duties, but there's freedom in that - in knowing that we do our best, we sometimes screw it up, sometimes the kids screw it up, and still, these kids?  My kids? They're full of awesome.

But you can't make 'em sleep.

3 comments:

  1. I am not approaching the city limits of what you guys have been dealing with in the sleep department, but I remember a night w/ Miss C where she was screaming at me for going on two hours and it dawned on me - I cannot MAKE her stop and go to sleep. I have to just SIT HERE AND TAKE IT.

    It was, with no exaggeration, the most terrifying moment of my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever told you, but I am so very glad I got to know you over the last few years M. You always have the right words and make me feel better when I'm doubting myself. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw shucks, Peetie. Thanks. And AB: it is terrifying and freeing. Embrace it. Do your best, every day, but embrace their. . . stubborn independence. It will serve them well one day, won't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...