Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh, rainBOWS. . .

For whatever reason, I got a wild hair to make rainbow cupcakes.  I found a tutorial over on Living Eventfully and so I decided to give 'em a try.  Normally I make cakes from scratch, but normally we try to avoid chemicals and too much food coloring as well, so we'll just consider this a total break from our every day life.  The boy had his tonsils out last Thursday and is in need of both calories AND fun.

Fortunately, these had both.

Here are my ingredients.  Or, um, some of them. I bought a mini cupcake tin because let's be honest: it's time to make the move to minis over here.  I also bought an icing set, mostly because neat!  fun! 

 Following the directions, I put a scant cup of batter in each of 6 quart sized ziplocs and added the food coloring.  Then I closed the bags (carefully!) and squeezed them until the color was worked into the batter.  I do wish I would've made the green more vivid.  The original post calls for cake gel colorings, but I only had the wholly inferior liquid food coloring.  We survived.
 Here's all the little baggies with the colors mixed in.  I will tell you - that green is far from vivid enough, having seen the finished project.
 Then I started putting them in the pan.  On the minis, about a dime-sized sploosh.  On the bigger ones I played it by ear.
 I put all the leftovers in a mini loaf pan.  This would prove to be a delicious mistake.
 Here are the minis.  They took longer than I thought they would, probably because I kept peeking.
 There's that loaf pan.  I like to call it FrankenCake.
 Here's the side view of the Frankencake.  You can see that because it was overloaded, the bottom colors were pushed up and out the sides.
 Here are 4 of the minis frosted.  They're in metallic gold wrappers.
And here's one cut open.  Not a bad first run, I have to say -- first time making rainbow cupcakes, first time making cream cheese frosting, first time piping frosting on.  Overall, I'd say not so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...