Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

So I got this crazy fabric. . .

from the remnants section of Denver Fabrics.  I keep going through the tables and picking up fabrics - and then NOT sewing something right away, so I finally decided to do something with this.  It's a crazy black and white print.

I've wanted a maxi-skirt for awhile - and a swim coverup as well, so I figured what better time than the present to turn this fabric into something.  I looked around online at several tutorials and finally decided on one that was more mathematical equation than pattern.  I laid out the fabric and had JUST enough to make it happen, so I cut it out.  Blindly, really.  Then I decided it wasn't quite enough, so I put scraps into it to expand the bottom of the skirt.  I had a lot of problems with the top part - the waistband.  I wanted it to be stretchy but firm enough to act as a strapless dress if I wanted.  I tried an old t-shirt, but didn't like the thickness compared to the soft flowing rayon blend of the fabric, so I ultimately grabbed my Bella Band from my maternity clothes and here we are:



Sum total for this project:  The fabric cost about $3.50 and I used practically every square inch of it.  There's one scrap downstairs I might use to make a headband.  The Bella Band was originally $15, but keep in mind I used it through my pregnancy with Elsa (and afterward as a tummy cover-up when nursing).  And, of course, it took a little time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...