Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

One last post for today, I promise: Mom's present



Never before have I had such trouble picking out patterns for people. My goodness I am stuck. Kirsti's was easy and will look awesome, but picking out a pattern for Mom and Erika has been a headache.




For Mom's knit this year, I opted for the quick and easy kerchief scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I got a skein of really beautiful Queensland Kathmandu Aran (Red/157). It's 85% Merino 10% silk and 5% cashmere and I can tell. I wanted to smoosh my face into the stuff, it was so soft and squeezeable.

The Kerchief scarf is very easy - a garter stitch triangle with a slip/selvage edge. You simply make one at the end of each row. That's it. Easy as pie. And fast too. My problem wasn't the knitting. It knit up quickly on size 8s and I cast off using size 10s for a stretchier edge.

Then I wrapped it around my neck. It fit like a kerchief (living up to its promise, I guess), but I felt that it was likely too short for Mom. After much angst and worry about picking up another skein, adding a decorative edge, etc., I simply decided to block the sucker.
Now? It's perfect. Of course this will require that I give mom a nice note on blocking her hand-wash smooshy perfect scarf so that she doesn't have it shrink up to nothing! It's not dry yet, so what you see here is the blocked product. I'll update the picture as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...