Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

To the woman at Cilantros -

You over there.  The one with the quads.  I'm certain you get a lot of attention and I'm even more certain that your journey to parenthood was rife with struggle and pain.  Perhaps losses.  Perhaps infertility.  Perhaps both.

Mine was too.

But this isn't about your four children of the same age or my three children 4 years apart in age.  This is about your eyes.  Rolling.  While looking my way.  While the entire restaurant shuddered under the deafening tones of the emergency escape alarm that my son set off with his butt.

It is about you judging me.

And it is about karma.

And finally comes this:  One day you will not remember this moment as one or two or three or four of your children do something stupid and asinine, something so unbelieveably embarassing you can only do what I was doing when you rolled your eyes at me: stare blankly at the restaurant of people and think to yourself "I cannot wait to post about this on Facebook." When that moment happens, I will know.  An excited tickle will crawl up my spine and I will know that you, too, are finally and fully a parent.

God bless you.  God bless those beautiful babies.  And God bless the moment you discover yourself a teensy tiny bit less judgmental of all parents.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, an impromptu fire drill never killed anyone. how'd he set it off with his butt?! That's impressive

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...